Sinéad O’Connor is Hospitalized After Disturbing Tweets
via TODAY / Youtube
Sinéad O’Connor has been admitted to the hospital after a series of disturbing tweets following the disappearance and death by suicide of her 17-year-old son last week.
Shane O’Connor was missing from Newbridge, County Kildare and was last seen in the Tallaght, Dublin 24 area. After two days, his body was discovered on January 7, and on January 8 police confirmed the news of the teenager’s death.
The singer, who has been open about her own mental struggles and suicidal thoughts before went on to say she felt “lost,” and blamed herself for her teenage son’s death.
She told fans on Thursday night that she was heading to the hospital to receive help after posting a long message on Twitter earlier that day where she planned to take her own life.
An unverified Twitter account connected to O’Connor wrote:
“I’ve decided to follow my son. There is no point living without him. Everything I touch, I ruin. I only stayed for him. And now he’s gone.”
An hour later, O’Connor followed the thread of her alarming posts apologizing and reassured fans that she was seeking medical attention.
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. I am with cops now on way to hospital. I’m sorry I upset everyone. I am lost without my kid and I hate myself. Hospital will help a while. But I’m going to find Shane. This is just a delay.”
Sinéad’s hospitalization comes after years of mental health struggles. She had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, complex post-traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder in the past recalling her traumatic childhood.
If you or someone you know is in need of help, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1–800–273–8255 or by visiting SuicidePreventionLifeline.org.