B.B. King’s “The Thrill is Gone” (Mia Z Cover)
The Thrill Is Still Here!
Aside from being remembered as B.B. King’s greatest hit, this was also his first record which sold for over a million copies. It was also widely considered as his signature song although the original recording was from Roy Hawkins.
“I carried this song around in my head for seven or eight years,” B.B. King recalls about “The Thrill Is Gone,” which had been an r&b hit for its author, pianist Roy Hawkins, in 1950. “It was a different kind of blues ballad. I’d been arranging it in my head and had even tried a couple of different versions that didn’t work.”
- Peaked at number 3 in the R&B chart
- Peaked at number 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart
- Ranked at 183rd in the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list by the Rolling Stone magazine
- Earned him his first Grammy Award for the Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
- Ranked at 33rd in Guitar World’s 100 Greatest Guitar Solos
Mia Zanotti, or also known as Mia Z, was a contestant from The Voice 2015. During her blind audition, she wowed the coaches with her sultry rendition of B.B. King’s classic “The Thrill is Gone.” Though it was different from the King’s version, she did justice to the song by performing it with such powerful vocals and so much soul. It was an incredible take on one of the most unforgettable blues songs. That’s quite a performance!