Joe Perry Reveals Details About ‘Sweetzerland Manifesto Mk II’ Album Release
ANAHEIM, CA - JANUARY 21: Musician Joe Perry performs onstage at the TEC Awards during NAMM Show 2017 at the Anaheim Hilton on January 21, 2017 in Anaheim, California. (Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images for NAMM)
Joe Perry is set to release his new solo album, Sweetzerland Manifesto MKII.
The upcoming record will be released on May 26, the follow-up to the first Sweetzerland Manifesto released back in 2018. Some of the tracks included on the upcoming album are from the first installment with alternate vocal takes and mixes.
New versions of the songs will feature vocals from Cheap Trick’s Robin Zander, the New York Dolls’ David Johansen, and British singer-guitarist Terry Reid, and Zander redo his appearance on a new song “Suck It Up.” In addition, Gary Cherone (Extreme, Van Halen) is also featured on a new track “Quake.”
In a press release, Perry said about the album:
“We had so many songs and with everything going on with the Vampires, Aerosmith, COVID, not touring and touring, this music kept riding along for me.
“It was like the engine of a train that wasn’t going to stop. I’d wanted to put these songs out, and the idea of adding them to a vinyl release or Deluxe Version turned into doing MKII. I tend to think in terms of albums. The first one had a vibe, and MKII is a little more rocked out. I almost prefer it. It’s one of those records I can play from front to back live.”
Ahead of the album’s release, Perry is streaming the lead single “Fortunate One.” Co-written by Perry’s sons Tony and Roman, the song features the vocals of The Black Crowes’ Chris Robinson and bass from Stone Temple Pilots’ Robert Deleo. Perry said about the song:
“We started it in L.A., recorded it in London and Chris sang on it.
“And bang! Doesn’t get better than that! Really proud of this track.”
Meanwhile, Perry’s band, the Joe Perry Project, is hitting the road to perform six dates across the U.S. kicking off on April 15 in Mashantucket, Connecticut.
Joe Perry, ‘Sweetzerland Manifesto MKII’ Track Listing
1. “Fortunate One” – Features Chris Robinson (The Black Crowes) and Robert DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots)
2. “Quake” – Features Gary Cherone (Extreme/Van Halen)
3. “I’ll Do Happiness” – Features Terry Reid
4. “Aye Aye Aye” – Featuring Robin Zander (Cheap Trick)
5. “Man With a Golden Arm” – Instrumental
6. “Time Will Tell”
7. “I Wanna Roll” – Featuring David Johanson (New York Dolls)
8. “Suck It Up” – Featuring Robin Zander (Cheap Trick) and Robert DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots)
9. “Goes His Own Way” – Featuring Terry Reid
10. “Won’t Let Me Go” – Featuring Terry Reid