10 Times David Lee Roth Was Actually Really, Really Cool (PHOTOS)
Happy Birthday, Diamond Dave!
October 10th is David Lee Roth’s 60th birthday and in honor of Diamond Dave’s 60 trips around the sun, here are 10 cool facts about our favorite Van Halen frontman!
We wonder if he came out of the womb dressed in that spandex bodysuit…
1. David suggested the name Van Halen to the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Alex
The band was formerly known as Mammoth. Good looking out, Dave. Good looking out.
2. He was an EMT in the early 2000’s…no, really – he was!
No one recognized him, and Dave even saved a woman who was having a heart attack. Aww, great job, Dave!
3. He Finished A New York Marathon…And It Took 6 Hours
Did he try to karate kick his way through the entire thing…?
4. He Became “Diamond Dave” In His First Band, the Red Ball Jets
It was in the Red Ball Jets that Diamond Dave learned how to pose and entertain.
5. Dave Went On Extreme Sport Trips With A Group Of Guys Called, “The Jungle Studs”
I wish we were making this up.
6. He Recorded “Song Of Love” For His Littlest Fan, Ashley Abernathy During Her Leukemia Battle
Ashley’s now 18 and says that Dave’s song helped her win her battle with leukemia. Thanks, Dave.
7. He’s A Martial Arts Enthusiast
He’s trained in the art of Kenjutsu and also in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Who knew?!
8. Diamond Dave Became Daddy Dave When Daughters Avy And Brenna Were Born
We’re pretty sure he wins the award for, “Most Hilarious Dad Ever”.
9. Dave ALMOST Replaced Sammy Hagar In Montrose, Way Back In 1975
Can you imagine how different arena rock would have been?
10. Dave Credits Eddie Van Halen For Giving Him “The Best Years Of His Life”
Despite their bickering over the years, there’s nothing but love between these two. Aww!